
"Construction toys for girls, once a well-intentioned but unsuccessful part of the toy market, are blossoming. Small toy makers littleBits, GoldieBlox Inc. and Maykah Inc. are marketing products they say can bolster spatial skills, which recent research has linked to degrees and careers in these disciplines."
Researches show that spatial skills are directly connected to the ability one has in math and engineering. Boys have higher spatial abilities than girls. Spatial skill "it is one of the largest cognitive sex differences," says David Lubinski, a professor of psychology at Vanderbilt University; and parents collaborate to this difference when they reinforce gender- specific play. New researches show that spatial skills can be improved with practice, and that building toys can positively impact girl's math and engineering skills. Upon this finding, small and big toys companies are investing heavily in this opportunity to extend their product line to girl's friendly construction toys. Not pink blocks, but storytelling construction toys. For years the toys industry didn't explore this market because they didn't understand their consumers. I couldn't care less to build pink blocks when I was growing up, but I loved to play with my cousin's Legos because we added stories to the construction play. However, I never owned my own Lego because they didn't offer the features the society labels for girls toys. This new research is a great opportunity for the shift in culture belief. Both boys and girls can play with kitchen toys, doll, constructions toys, and toy car.
No comments:
Post a Comment